That there are 78 million baby boomers in America is no longer news. So many things had been said about us that made us look like the most popular set of people in the United States. Many adverts focus on us, many TV programs discuss us. America sees us as a strong set of people, with power, energy resources, wealth, and success. But do we see ourselves in that manner? Are we happy about what we have become or frustrated? Many of us are getting to retirement. Many had retired already. We are no longer young. We are certainly missing our youthful days and our energy. But fortunately, records show that more American seniors claim they are happy at old age than at a youthful age, but is that applicable to us?
At this stage in our lives, we would have missed many opportunities and seen many dreams shattered. Of course, we would also have recorded much success and made many achievements. We might have lost friends, partners, and loved ones. Even our children would have likely left home leaving us with an empty house. Those are parts of the challenges of getting old. At 58, I know I’ve spent 2/3 of my life maybe a little more, maybe a little less. I don’t expect it all to be rosy. And the future too may have its challenges. But I know I am in charge of my life. I may not be able to control everything that happens to me, but I can control the way I react to everything. So, my happiness is my choice. I will be happy if I choose to. Do you share my philosophy?
Life has never been fair to anyone, and we can say because there are challenges, then we keep ourselves sad all day. We can’t keep complaining. We must make ourselves happy. At midlife, there is still a lot to live for. That is what we must search for and work towards achieving.
Sometimes you look towards a particular goal. It seems so perfect in theory. Then you went for it. However, it may not turn out as you think. You should understand that not everything that works on paper really works in real life. You must not dwell in that disappointment. Rather you must move on and look for what will make you feel fulfilled.
At midlife, the future is still very much there. But we need to take charge of our lives. The first thing is to improve your mental health. Be strong emotionally, psychologically, physically, and mentally. Your well being is very important. You need it now, more than ever before. You must also seek help anytime you need it and always appreciate the gift and every positive thing in you.
I know your goal towards happiness is to find a way to live like when you were young. Those youthful days might have gone, but you can still be as spirited and enthusiastic as you were then. You can still be as happy and aspiring as you were decades ago. It is all about the choices you make. Below are some things you can do that will reignite your passion for success, inspire your spirit, and change your mindset so that as you age, you age without stress.
- Develop a positive attitude: Not everything that happens to us is within our control, but our reaction to everything is perfectly ours to decide. So, always be positive. Take life lightly, feel good all the time. do not see failure in anything. Embrace success. Learn and try again when you fail. Happiness or sorrow depends on your altitude.
- Develop Yourself: Don’t be static, follow the trend. Be open to new ideas and new ways of doing things. Things change every day, also be ready to change. Develop yourself. Grow every day. Seek knowledge, and apply it.
- Manage Stress Effectively: I can’t say don’t get stressed up. You can, but don’t get burned out. Being stressed depends on how many things you need to handle within a short time. We all can get stressed. But learn how to manage a tight schedule and difficult situations. Learn how to cope when life happens, so you don’t get burned out. Life will always be filled with ups and downs. Focus on the good aspects, concentrate on it, and get motivation from it. Forget the unpleasant side of life. Learn from it but don’t let it weigh you down.
- Don’t Ignore Little Things: Appreciate every good thing that comes your way. No matter how small or big it is. The chances are those small beautiful things will happen most of the time. if you find pleasure in them, you will always be happy.
- Face Your Challenges: you have heard times without number that life is not a bed of roses. As there will be opportunities, there will also be challenges. Rise and face your challenges. They are to build you and not to destroy you. Get challenged by your problems but don’t get discouraged. Most of the time, difficult situations bring better opportunities
- Be Happy: That is what the five steps above are all about. But even if you follow all the steps you must still decide to be happy. Happiness is a choice. It doesn’t depend on what happens to us, rather, it depends on how we react to things. When things are fine, you can be sad, if you choose to, and when you are passing through challenges, you can be happy. It is a choice. Therefore, in all situations, choose to be happy.
With Gratitude and Love